Project planning is most important in a protective coatings project since the coating is usually the main form of corrosion prevention of the substrate. If the coating fails corrosion will occur and the life of the asset is reduced.
Ensuring the coating performs for its designed service life requires many variable factors to be controlled, such as;
- Surface temperature & ambient weather conditions.
- Surface cleanliness and surface preparation including surface roughness.
- Coatings procurement, storage, mixing and application.
- Coating dry film thickness and surface finish.
- Coating curing, hardness and over coating windows.
Being a finishing trade the coatings not only provide protection to the substrate but usually provide other benefits too, including;
- Aesthetic appearance for gloss or colour.
- Colour coding for identification of different surfaces or vessel contents.
Additionally, coatings provide a lot of potential conflict with other tasks on site due to;
- Surface preparation which usually involves aggressive methods and creates lots of noise, dust, and potential damage.
- Coating application for liquid coatings requires multiple coats using products that stay "wet" for hours. Wet paint is subject to contamination just as wet paint can contaminate other work zones and adjacent surfaces.
Application of liquid coatings is unlike most other trades where a plumber installs a pipe in lengths or a rigger assembles a structure using large parts.
- Must physically impact every square millimeter of the structure.
- They also have to control all the above elements to achieve the project objectives.
- They must do it 2, 3 or more times depending upon the number of coating layers required.
Safety risks are common to protective coating projects and most projects will involve;
- Working at heights.
- Confined space entry.
- Hazardous or flammable chemicals.
- Machinery with high energy outputs.
- Unusual geometries requiring unique access methods. IE. Wharfs, bridges, towers, etc.
I could continue and you will decide your protective coatings project is too hard however RAP's experience is first hand in applying unique remedy's to control each element and protect your reputation for project delivery.
Included in their free initial consultation, RAP will identify your organisations strengths. Then it's just a matter of assessing whether there are any skills required for the project that your team doesn't possess.
RAP will then tailor a proposal to provide their consulting and inspection services to fill the skills gap.